The Animal Behavior Management Alliance (ABMA) continually strives to advance intentional and enlightened behavior management to improve the lives and welfare of all animals.
To be a global leader dedicated to advancing animal welfare through excellence in behavior management.
Our Core Values
- Behavior management is an essential component of animal welfare.
- Environmental enrichment and positive reinforcement training are highly effective strategies for managing and modifying behavior.
- Goal-based enrichment, designed to offer animals behavioral opportunities, is an essential component of all animal programs.
- Positive reinforcement training is our most effective and ethical method of behavior modification.
- Human and animal safety must be at the core of an animal behavior management program.
- Learning should be conducted in a nurturing and non-threatening environment for both animals and people.
- Science-based methods of assessment are a valuable tool for evaluating, refining, and advancing behavior management strategies.
- Behavior management can advance conservation by helping to mitigate human-animal conflict in wild populations, facilitating in situ conservation efforts, and maintaining behaviorally and physically healthy captive populations.
- Pro-active behavior management is an essential component of responsible animal care since learning is always occurring.
- The sharing of knowledge and new ideas is fundamental to advancing animal behavior management.